Let's talk Turkey!!

Today, Monday, marks our first week in Turkey. First impressions, I love the Turkey!  The weather is consistently sunny and in the 90’s cooling down to the high 70’s at night.  It is hard to find any shade so I find myself changing my clothing several times a day.  Two negatives to share:


  • There are no good hair days for those blessed/cursed with curly hair who try desperately each day to blow it straight-total failure! 

  • Most women here wear bikinis no matter the age or the body type.  Since my bikinis days are well behind me- I stick out as a foreigner in my one piece bathing suit- an OLD foreigner at that!


We got our catamaran, which we named CoKeMa after the first two letters in our son’s names, launched a few days ago and have taken her out to explore the area.  The coastline of Turkey has lovely beaches and a lot of hotels.   This is a hot destination spot for Brits, Scots and folks  from Scandinavian countries which explains why EVERY restaurant has the English/Scottish traditional breakfast and every main meal comes with french fries.  Tacos, nachos, pizza and other non Turkish delights are the core of most menus.  I did have a traditional Turkish breakfast-  slices of tomatoes and cucumbers, several cheeses and black olives.  Kinda like having a salad for breakfast without the lettuce!


A little about our boat ….she is big and I have no idea  what I have to do to sail it or maintain her.  It is very intimidating and terrifying. I don’t know much of  the sailing lingo which is focused on winds and pulling lines in and out and up and down! I have managed to experience the process of dropping the anchor and getting it back up on the boat.  Notice I said experienced not mastered!  Fred assures me that I will learn the basics quickly and over time feel more comfortable  talking like a sailor!  


We have been cleared by Turkey to move forward with our plan to sail to Croatia probably later this week. My anxiety is high since I never have been on a passage that could take up to two weeks.  For you non sailor folk that means sailing 24/7 on the open ocean.   I can visualize the horror on many of your faces right now.  Please pray for me! 





Comments

  1. Ita, this made me laugh out loud as I could actually hear your voice in my head as you described the bathing suit situation! I miss you...and am so excited to follow these posts! Oh, and the boat is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading my blog!! I miss my DHCD family and hope the blog is my way for staying connected!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful boat Ita and Fred! Sounds like you have a fantastic first voyage planned on CoKeMa! We haven’t been to Turkey since 89’ but I remember fondly how nice the people were to us and how amazing their traditional food is – some of the best meals we’ve ever had and interesting spices. Oh, and the cherry juice – yum! Croatia is on our bucket list so look forward to hearing about your adventures. Athan's collaborator Lidija is from there -- Connor may have worked with her when he was in the lab. Safe travels! -- Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ita, your woman's perspective is a beautiful thing! We are howling! I sense the beginnings of a best seller here. Safe unimpeded travels to glorious Croatia. Once there buy yourself a wide-brimmed hat to keep your hair in check and an eenie meenie bikini to show that reluctant sailors rock! Miss you dearly. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We’re reading your blog post here over breakfast and howling with laughter! It sounds like an amazing few days Ita. I agree with Pam - a wide brimmed hat; or maybe a stylish scarf tied up a la Audrey Hepburn?! Enjoy the trip - what an adventure. Lots of love, Denise, Margaret & Saibh XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ita, this is so exciting! I suspect that before too long you will cut your hair off into a cute pixie and say bring on the curls! What does it mean that you are cleared to explore Croatia? Is it related to Covid? I hope you get your sea legs soon! Can't wait for more pictures! Carol Weldin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok... Fred said that you'll be talking like a sailor in no time... does that mean you'll be swearing like a sailor? (Because I think when the occasion calls for it, you've already mastered that!) Turkish breakfast sounds lovely... especially since you didn't have to prepare it for yourself! Loving the blog so far...! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS The weather right now in New England sounds pretty similar to Turkey... maybe a bit more humid. I'd much rather have a bad hair day in Turkey than Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hair, food, fashion! Focusing on what matters. Love reading all the details in this post and your terrific storytelling. All this time I thought yiu were some big shot sailor. Now I know!!! That passage sounds like a real rite of passage.

    Ps i cannot get my old place of employment from 2011 off of my identifying name. Just disregard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! LOVE THIS!!!! Safe passage to Croatia!!! I was in Split and Hvar in college! SPECTACULAR!!! Love traveling with you vicariously :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! You are hysterical, This is going to rank as the best blogging..... well, you may have a new job, Ita. I love your commentary as the reluctant sailor. Just saying, we are having a lot of humidity here too making for many bad hair days, also. You are not alone, my friend. Figuring just go with it.... much easier that way. Finally reading through your blog and loving it so far. Keep in touch. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ita this is awesome! I am so happy that Anne got me on your blog! Given how crap life is in the 01890 this summer, I am so thrilled to follow your adventures. Happy trails or should I say sails?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sardinia-Ancient Ruins, Stilettos and Weird Rituals

What Is Your Superpower?